The Elan Valley Trail
A wild walk in Mid Wales’ Elenydd. Distance is one way.
|13.8 km||337 m||3 hours|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Rhayader
Check out the businesses nearby for more places to stay and drink.
Public Transport: Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
The Elan Valley Trail Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- The Trans Cambrian Way Day 2 - 0.1km
- Y Gamriw from Llanwrthwl - 4.2km
- Craig Cnwch Walk from Elan Village - 5.4km
- Walk around Garreg Ddu Reservoir - 7.4km
- Drygarn Fawr From Caban Coch Reservoir - 9.5km
- The Trans Cambrian Way Day 3 - 13.5km
- Walk up Drygarn Fawr a Rhiwnant from Dolgoch Hostel - 20.2km
- Walk the Historic Kerry Ridgeway - 21.8km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
The Elan Valley Trail Details
Walk into the heart of the Elenydd along three reservoirs and ending at the fourth. If you love waterside walks, then this will appeal. Makes a good approach into the Elenydd from Rhayader if you’re going wild camping as well.
This is wild terrain, but the route is easy enough and stays low on forestry tracks or tarmacked roads.
Most of the route can also be completed by bike.
Click here to view the full description and download a printable route guide and map.