Walk around Llyn Crafnant
|5.23 km||155 m|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish:
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Walk around Llyn Crafnant Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
Walk around Llyn Crafnant Details
A pleasant circuit around this attractive lake. Follows a decent lakeside track, but does have its slippery sections, so be careful. If you want to drag some non walking family members out for an afternoon, this is the walk to do it.
Half way around there’s a cafe (even sells bottles of beer), so there’s something for everyone. More information on the route on the Forestry Commission website that maintain this route and waymark it with Yellow posts, though their distance is stated to be a little less as they start from the lake itself.
Distance, Ascent and Time 5.5km, 200m, 2 hours
Start / End Car park (fee) near Lake. At GR SH 756 618
Facilities Toilets at start of walk, Cafe half way ’round lake,, pubs in Trefriw
Public Transport Some buses to Trefriw. Adds extra distance to walk.
1. Start uphill from the car park along the road. You will shortly arrive at the lake.
2. At the lake, turn right over a footbridge and you find the forest trail.
3. Follow the trail, do not follow any forks that take you uphill. Other than that, there should be no navigational problems. Once you have walked beyond the lake, you will find the track begin to narrow and rise sharply. It only climbs for a short distance before the downhill section. There is a waymark at the point you need to descend.
4. The section downhill is a little steep, and slippery in wet conditions. It is a clear path, with no other difficulties. It is only a short section and you are soon next to some cottages. Follow the track, and it takes you clearly to a gate and a tarmacked road.
5. Follow the road now to return to the car park. Half way along you will find the cafe, which will hopefully be open when you pass!