A Stroll in the Parc
Summits on this Route
A Stroll in the Parc0.0km
Distance: 5.3 km
Ascent: 102 m
Start and Finish:
Post Code for Sat Nav:
A Stroll in the Parc Details
Getting to this walk is probably the hardest part! The Llyn Sarnau car park can either be reached by the minor road that passes the Ty Hyll off the A5, or a minor road that starts from near Gwydir Castle on the B5106. The latter is the better road. Once here, make sure to be early, as it is popular with mountain bikers and walkers alike.
You will need a map, compass and the skills to use them. Plantations are notriously difficult to navigate, and often the map and tracks don’t match.
Distance, Ascent and Time 6km, 160m, 2 hours
Difficulties Navigation in forestry!
Start / End Llyn Sarnau Car park SH777591
Facilities Picnic Area.
Public Transport None – nearest Llanrwst or Betws.
1. Start from the car park as mentioned above. The track can be seen right,between the 2 lakes. After a couple of hundred metres, the track splits in many directions. You can go left and along the open field, or as we did, straight ahead. This section of the walk gives distant views to Snowdon, Tryfan and Creigiau Gleision.
2. Continue along the track, climbing slightly uphill. You will soon meet the alternative track, which joins from the left. Continue straight ahead, until you come to a junction and a large stone wall. Behind this is a reservoir.
3. Continue straight ahead, past this stone dam, keeping on the same track. It will turn sharply left, then sharply right before bringing you to Llyn Parc.[Optional, There is a footpath that cuts across section 3. It starts just past the dam, is waymarked blue, and it is visible on the OS map. ]
4. There is a small beach at the lake where you can stop for a breather before continuing along the forestry track along the lake. Unfortunately, the track has been built for loggers and not walkers, so there are surprisingly no views of the lake. The OS map shows a path along the lakeside, but this appeared overgrown.
5. The track will fork after a few hundred metres, where you need to turn left. This track then takes you all the way to the footpath that forms the final leg of the trip (SH 788 596). The final section of foresty track is rather steep. You can continue forward and take a stretch of the Marin Trail in if you’re on a MTB. Ideal way to get a little taster in.
6. At the grid reference given above, you will turn left off the track and follow a clear footpath through deciduous forest. This track is a little rough in places, but no major difficulties are encountered. You will pass a couple of old mines on the way (marked on map), but they are both fenced off and the entrances themselves are blocked up.
7. Eventually the path will climb up onto a forestry track (SH 781 595). The map shows many other paths, but none were obvious on the ground, with this described route being easy to follow. Turn right along the forestry track, which quickly brings you back to Llyn Sarnau. Turn right and you are back at the car park.