An exhilarating scramble that’s not as exposed as Crib Goch. Note that the distance and time is for the ascent only – you’ll need to choose a descent route (the PYG Track is one recommendation).
|6.8 km||908 m||3 hours|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Pen y Pass
There’s a good cafe at Pen y Pass these days, as well as public toilets in the same block. Over the road you’ll find Mallory’s Bar in the Pen y Pass Youth Hostel.
Grade 1 Scrambling
Sherpa Buses from Llanberis, Betws-y-Coed, Beddgelert, Caernarfon and Porthmadog stop at Pen y Pass at varying frequencies. Check out the Snowdon Sherpa page on Walk up Snowdon for the latest Snowdon Sherpa rundown.Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
LIMITED! £10 a day, £6 for 4 hours. Very early arrival advised. Park in Nant Peris for the Park and Ride
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Lliwedd Scramble up Snowdon From Pen y Pass Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Welsh 3000s – Walking the Welsh 14 Peaks Challenge Guide and Map - 0.1km
- Y Gribin Snowdon and Y Lliwedd Scramble - 0.1km
- The Snowdon Horseshoe Scrambling Route - 0.1km
- Secret Snowdonia – Craig Fach from Pen y Pass - 0.1km
- Moel Berfedd – Another Snowdonia Mini Mountain Adventure - 0.1km
- Walk up Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach from Pen y Pass - 0.1km
- Snowdon via PYG track from Pen Y Pass - 0.1km
- Crib Goch Scramble from Pen y Pass - 0.1km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
Lliwedd Scramble up Snowdon From Pen y Pass Details
Y Lliwedd is a worthy scramble from Pen y Pass in itself, and an even better route up Snowdon! While not as challenging as Crib Goch, or as popular, it is still a fine day out! If time is short, you can climb Lliwedd and descend the same way, which is achievable during a summer evening for a proficient group.
Lliwedd Scramble up Snowdon From Pen y Pass Route Description
Full Scrambling Route up Lliwedd and Snowdon can be found on Walk up Snowdon