Classic Dark Peak route around the Derwent Watershed
|62.8 km||1580 m|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Circular walk that starts and ends at Yorkshire Bridge near Bamford
Route starts (and ends) near The Yorkshire Bridge Inn
Navigation can be difficult and boggy ground plentiful on the second half of the route
Public Transport: Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
Free roadside parking just up from the Yorkshire Bridge Inn
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
A Walk Around the Derwent Watershed Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Win Hill Walk from Ladybower Reservoir - 0.9km
- Crook Hill, Lost Lad, and Derwent Edge - 1.3km
- Derwent Edge and Back Tor via the Hurkling Stones - 1.4km
- A View of Ladybower Reservoir Walk - 1.9km
- Walk Along Derwent Edge to Back Tor - 2.7km
- Win Hill Walk From Hope Village - 3.4km
- Lose Hill and Mam Tor Walk from Hope - 3.4km
- A Win Hill MTB Circuit - 3.5km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
A Walk Around the Derwent Watershed Details
Mark Barrett of hillexplorer.com shares this classic and extremely challenging Dark Peak route. At 39 miles, it covers the whole of the watershed around the Derwent reservoirs and, though it’s not officially a challenge walk, it’s up there with the Yorkshire 3 Peaks in terms of effort required, and even harder in terms of the terrain. In other words, it’s not to be taken lightly. The route starts at Yorkshire Bridge and ascends Win Hill before moving on to the Lose Hill to Mam Tor ridge, Rushup Edge, Brown Knoll, the western edge of Kinder Scout, Mill Hill, Bleaklow, Howden Edge, Margery Hill, Back Tor, Derwent Edge, and finally Stanage Edge.