Pen y Fan and Brecon Beacons via the Cwm Llwch horseshoe walk
Classic horseshoe circuit up Pen y Fan via Cefn Cwm Llwch
|11.1 km||635 m||4 hours|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Cwmgwdi
noneTraveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable): LD3 8LE
Cwm Gwdi car park
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Pen y Fan and Brecon Beacons via the Cwm Llwch horseshoe walk Route Map and GPX Download
- On the Taff Trail from Talybont on Usk to Brecon - 1.8km
- Pen y Fan – Brecon Beacons and Taff Trail Walk from Brecon - 2.2km
- Glyn Tarell from Storey Arms - 8.7km
- Pen y Fan Walk from Storey Arms - 8.7km
- Walk up Fan Frynych and Craig Cerrig Gleision - 9.1km
- Fan y Big Waterfalls and Ridges Walk - 9.1km
- Pen y Fan and Corn Du Brecon Beacons Walk - 9.2km
- Brecon Beacons Horseshoe Walk from Cwm Taf Fechan - 10.1km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
Pen y Fan and Brecon Beacons via the Cwm Llwch horseshoe walk Details
While you may be able to easier ascend Pen y Fan from the Storey Arms, you won’t avoid the crowds from that overly busy route.
For a real feel for the wilderness of the Brecon Beacons you need to explore the quieter valleys and ridges that seem to reach this summit from every direction. The Cwm Llwch Horseshoe route approaches the Brecon Beacons from the north, ascending the Cefn Cwm Lwch ridge up towards Pen y Fan and Cribyn, before descending the valley of the same name for a straightforward horseshoe walk.
Click here to view the full description and download a printable route guide and map.
For more walks up Pen y Fan, visit our All the Walking Routes up Pen y Fan article.