Lon Las Fenai is a traffic free cycletrack along the Menai Strait between Caernarfon and Y Felinheli. It’s also part of the Wales Coast Path.
|6.8 km||54 m||1 hour|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Caernarfon to Felinheli
Good facilities both ends of the route.
Regular bus services between Bangor and Caernarfon / Felinheli.Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
Paid for parking near the start in Caernarfon, though you can also start from the town centre.
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Lon Las Fenai Cycle Route Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Walk the Wales Coast Path From Caernarfon to Clynnog The Alternative Coastal Route - 0.0km
- The Snowdon Coast to Coast Challenge - 0.1km
- Rownd Foryd - 0.2km
- Tryfan Junction from Caernarfon - 0.2km
- Walk the Wales Coast Path From Caernarfon to Clynnog - 0.2km
- Lon Gwyrfai Rough Route - 0.3km
- Caernarfon to Llanberis Hilly Run - 0.3km
- Lon Eifion and Lon Gwyrfai - 0.3km
- The Black Boy Inn - 0.3km
- Snowdonia Bunkhouse - 13.5km
- Yr Efail Swynol The Enchanted Forge Holiday Cottage - 15.5km
- Snowdonia Mountain Hostel - 15.7km
- Summit to Savour - 18.1km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
Lon Las Fenai Cycle Route Details
The Lon Las Fenai is an easy cycle track from Caernarfon to Felinheli, and of course – in the opposite direction. It’s also part of the Wales Coast Path. The Lon Las Fenai joins up with Lon Adda to travel into Bangor and onward towards the Lon Las Ogwen. Recent improvements on the Caernarfon seafront make it possible to cycle to the start of the Lon Eifion cycletrack, but with one section near the new Welsh Highland Way station being on a busy road.
You don’t need much guidance to follow the Lon Las Fenai. It starts near the Docks in Caernarfon, where you can cycle along it’s perimeter. Follow this, past the Galeri and the big chain pub on the corner and turn right at the end. You’ll pass the pier, turn right again and the cycle path starts here.
It is easy enough to follow from this point onward, with a couple of minor roads to cross, until you get to the roundabout 4km. Cross the minor road that leads to Plas Menai and follow the first left (on the pavement). After a few 100m, the cycle track veers off left again and takes you pleasantly into the village. This route stops at the Gardd Fon, and well worth stopping at for some real ales (though, obviously not in the plural if you’re cycling it!).
Return whence you came.
You can download a full printable route guide from the following website – link.