One of the best scrambles in Snowdonia. Read our full account here.
|6.4 km||851 m||6 hours|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Ogwen
Check out the businesses nearby for more places to stay and drink.
Exposed, serious and sustained scrambling for the entire route.
Public Transport: Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Bochlwyd Horseshoe Snowdonia Scramble Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Garn and Glyderau via Cwm Clyd Ogwen Winter Walking Route - 0.0km
- Cwm Idwal and Llyn Bochlwyd Mid Level Snowdonia Walk - 0.0km
- Y Gribin Ridge Scramble up Glyder Fach - 0.0km
- The Bochlwyd Horseshoe - 0.0km
- The Carneddau from Ogwen to Aber - 0.1km
- A Walk around Cwm Idwal - 0.1km
- Walk to Llyn y Cwn and Devil’s Kitchen - 0.1km
- Garn, Glyderau and Tryfan from Ogwen - 0.1km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
Bochlwyd Horseshoe Snowdonia Scramble Details
There are few scrambles in Snowdonia that are as rightly famous as the Bochlwyd Horseshoe. As it includes both the Tryfan North Ridge and Bochlwyd Ridge scrambling routes, scales the impressive peaks of Tryfan and Glyder Fach and ends the day with a scrambly descent down Y Gribin (not to be confused with the other Gribin, on Yr Wyddfa) – is there a more epic 6km route out there?
Bochlwyd Horseshoe Snowdonia Scramble Route
For the full description of this challenging route, as well as a more challenging Grade 2 scramble route up the Bastow Buttress, follow this link – Bochlwyd Horseshoe Scrambling Route. There’ are also a few vids so you can see how hairy this is yourself!
For more walks up Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach, visit our All the Walking Routes up Glyder Fawr and Glyder Fach article.