Shropshire Way 8a Longmynd
|24.4 km||595 m|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish:
Check out the businesses nearby for more places to stay and drink.
Public Transport: Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Shropshire Way 8a Longmynd Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Shropshire Way 8 Church Stretton to Bridges - 0.0km
- The Portway – Church Stretton to Pulverbatch - 0.5km
- Walk up Long Mynd from Church Stretton - 0.8km
- Walk up Caer Caradoc Hill from Church Stretton - 1.2km
- Acton Scott Amble - 3.6km
- Ragleth Hill from Acton Scott - 3.6km
- Walk Over Wenlock Edge - 6.2km
- Jack Mytton Way 7 from Roman Bank to Wheathill - 6.7km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
Shropshire Way 8a Longmynd Details
The alternative final day for the Shropshire way takes us up to the Long Mynd from Church Stretton which is a historical town, with Iron Age through Roman and Norman remains present around the town. It was also a popular destination with well to do Victorians who travelled there on the new fangled railways to partake of ‘the waters’. This is the only leg of the route so far to exceed 18km, and is a slightly more strenuous 25km. It also remains at over 400m for 10km and this could make the going tougher in poor weather.
The Shropshire hills are a convenient get away if you want a hilly walk but the mountains of Snowdonia and the Lakes are too far to travel for the weekend.
Click here to view the full description and download route leaflets and podcasts