Dave Roberts reviews the Flint Running Top and Shorts from Aussie Grit Apparel.
The Flint Running Top and Shorts are manufactured by the new Australian outdoor company, Aussie Grit. Aussie Grit are a new startup company spearheaded by former Formula 1 driver, Mark Weber. The name was originally applied to Mark himself, who while touring the globe chose to keep fit by running and cycling in the outdoors rather than in the hotel gyms. They state that they “are passionate about the benefits of training and being in the great outdoors. It’s what we describe as being ‘connected to nature.”
They go on to state:
Our goal is simple. To create truly functional off-road cycling and trail running gear for men and women.
Our goal at Mud and Routes is to test that claim.
Aussie Grit are targeting runners and mountain bikers with this kit, but we found them to be suitable all rounders for all our outdoor activities. While we mainly tested them both whilst out running on the trail, they were equally at home on more challenging hill walks. We even risked them on a traverse of the spectacularly rugged Nantlle Ridge in Snowdonia, which has plenty of arse scrambling opportunities on pant-shredding rocks. The shorts more than endured that ordeal without a scratch.
The Flint long sleeve top is a merino wool half-zip top that has a quality feel to it. There’s plenty of attention to detail, with the chest guard so you don’t get rogue hairs caught in the zip (does anyone really wax their chest outside of crap reality TV?) and a plastic thingamybob on the zip-pull to make it easier to close with wet or cold hands. There are the usual reflective patches, but sadly no thumb loops which we’re fans of at Mud and Routes.
The Flint Men’s Running Shorts comprise of a compressed inner and a baggier outer, which is my preferred combination for running. This helps minimise any chafage and riding up of shorts, that invariably happens with two separate shorts. There are extra ventilation holes in the crotch area, and all the seams are flatloc, so they’re comfortable to walk and run in. As an extra little feature, there’s a pocket in the inner for carrying a mobile phone as well as a convenient hole for the headphone cable.
We were also happy with the sizing. We’ve often found trail running tops to be built for those with a scrawny build and who are around 89% legs. As a result, we’ve a couple of tops at the back of our gear cupboard that are more like crop tops than practical running gear. Glad to see running gear that’s got more of an ‘outdoors’ fit to it. There’s nothing they can do about that expression while I run, however…
Both the Flint shorts and top come in an attractive charcoal colour, and only that colour. While we’d like to see a more lurid colour for those trail runs or cycles that involve sections on road, there’s something to be said for this simplicity of choice.
Summary – Overall, a comfortable combination for active outdoor activities. The top may be a tad warm for the very warmest summer months, but will suit the conditions year round. They’re not exactly cheap either, but premium running kit never is! Anyone who’s had serious chafage on a long run won’t begrudge paying a few more quid to minimise it.
Flint Men’s Running Shorts
- Inner fabric: Italian soft touch compression fabric
- 59% Nylon, 41% Lycra
- Outer fabric: ultra light weight (86 g/m2)
- woven 86% Polyester, 14% Elastane
- DWR C6 treatment for water repellency
- Inner offers compression benefits for comfort and performance
- Ultra lightweight yet durable outer fabric
- Four way stretch fabrics allow freedom of running motion
- Flatlock seams on the liner enhance comfort
- Laser cut holes on outer short allow heat to evacuate effectively
- Cleverly placed phone pocket on inner for easy access and no moving around. An ideally placed lasercut eyelet on the outer allows headphones to connect with device in lining pocket
- Fabrics four way stretch, wicks well and quick drying
- Flat seams and soft touch thread reduce friction and chaffing
- Reflective highlights
- Lightweight and durable outer fabric
Flint Long Sleeve Running Top
- Performance Merino blend fabric
- 81% Polyester, 11% Merino, 8% Elastane – 180g/m2
- Performance Merino blend insulates when it’s cool outside whilst wicking and cooling when you’re feeling the heat.
- Soft-touch and comfortable on the skin
- High wicking and quick drying properties
- Freedom of movement design
- Reflective highlights
- Mid-weight single jersey knit construction
- Performance Merino blend
- Reversed auto-locking zip with garage to protect chin from contact with zip
- Soft touch thread used on seams to prevent chafing