Walk up Latrigg from Keswick
Route Summary:Wainwright of Latrigg
|7.08 km||347 m||2.5 hours|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Keswick
Various car parks in the town centre. Plenty of cafes, pubs and shops. Public toilets in Bell Close car park and Lakeside car park.
Buses from Penrith, Cockermouth, Workington, Lancaster and the south Lakes. https://www.cumbria.gov.uk/buses/Allerdale/Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable): CA12 5PP
Crosthwaite Road car park is the closest parking to the start of the walk.
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
Walk up Latrigg from Keswick Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Latrigg (368 metres)
Walk up Latrigg from Keswick Details
Despite being one of the lowest in the Lake District, this little fell offers stunning, panoramic views of Derwent Water, Keswick and the northern fells. After leaving Keswick town centre, the route up Latrigg follows a well-defined path to steadily climb to the summit. At the moment, this is a linear walk as paths through Brundholme Wood are being rebuilt due to damage caused by the 2015 floods. However, the linear route is certainly not a negative as the path down gives you plenty of time to enjoy the views towards Derwentwater and Keswick.
Walk up Latrigg from Keswick Route Description
1. From Crosthwaite Road Car Park, return to Crosthwaite Road and turn right. Continue along the road past the hospital and turn right down Brundholme Road, following the sign for the Leisure Pool.
2. The road begins to climb and, just before it bends to the right, take the left hand public bridleway, signposted for Skiddaw.
3. Continue straight ahead, following the wide gravel track across the bridge and through the wooden gate.
4. Ignore the right hand forks and follow the path straight on to climb through the woods. Derwent Water and the surrounding mountains soon come into view.
5. The footpath eventually reaches the edge of the tree line and bears left across a small stream and then through a wooden swing gate.
6. Continue on the footpath as it bears right around the hillside and reaches a fork. Take the right fork to Latrigg summit.
7. The well-defined path slowly zig-zags to a (very well photographed) bench, which offers impressive views of the mountain tops.
8. Continue following the footpath as it bears around to the left for the final climb. The summit is simply a grassy mound and has brilliant views down across Keswick and Derwent Water.
9. Retrace your steps back to the bench, taking in the wonderful views of Skiddaw and then bear right to zig-zag back down the hillside.
10. Turn left at the junction and follow the path into the woods.
11. Retrace your steps back through the woods to reach the road. Turn right on to Brundholme Road and then left on Crosthwaite Road to return to the car park.