An Easy Family Walk Around Llyn Dinas
Easy walk around Llyn Dinas that may be better walked as an out and back to Llyndu Isaf. The path has been upgraded significantly recently and the details and images on this page are in the process of being updated!
|4.68 km||59 m||1hr 30 min|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Llyn Dinas car park - GR SH 609 492
Nothing. Toilets, Shops and pubs in Beddgelert.
return on road
Sherpa Buses to Beddgelert.Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable):
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
An Easy Family Walk Around Llyn Dinas Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
An Easy Family Walk Around Llyn Dinas Details
This walk is a gentle stroll around one of the most beautiful and accessible small lakes of Eryri. If you want a longer walk, then you can start at Beddgelert instead, and perhaps extend the walk to visit Llyn Gwynant too. There’s a wonderful cafe in Nantgwynant that’s well worth the detour. The path along the southern shore has recently been rebuilt and is now an excellent multipurpose track known as the Lon Gwynant. We also recommend that the route is walked out and back – as the road walk isn’t particularly pleasant, perhaps to the Gwynant Cafe and back.
If you want more of a challenge then you could do the Cwm Bleiddiaid walk instead, which takes in the best of this walk and then a hidden valley on the flanks of Yr Wyddfa.
1. Start from the car park as mentioned above. It’s found on the left as you leave Beddgelert. If approaching from the opposite direction, I’ll leave you to work that one out. Cross the road and through a kissing gate. The National Trust have been working on these paths, so it’s worth putting some loose change in the collection box. Hopefully, they’ll get the path around the lake done at some point.
2. You are now on the lake, and follow this path for a short distance until you reach a footbridge over the Glaslyn. This has a gate on it, that had been left open when I was last there. Cross the bridge and keep to your left.
3. The path along the lake is now straightforward and is an excellent track all the way. There’s a new bridge over the stream, so at least you no longer need to ford the stream. The path then continues pleasantly along the shore of the lake rather than through the woods as it used to, and is easy to follow all the way.
4. . You’ll pass over a couple of stiles before a final path brings you into Llyndy Isaf’s farmhouse.
5. Follow the track from the farm to the main road, passing past a barn to your left and then a field (sometimes has cattle in). When you meet the minor road, you turn left and then over a bridge. Left again brings you onto the main road. We suggest crossing the road and continue right to the Gwynant Cafe before returning the same way.
The return on the road, not recommended for families and children. Continue along the road, there is no pavement along some of it. You will no doubt notice the dire state of the lakeside. The shore is strewn with plastic bags and other rubbish, clearly suffering due to its proximity to the main road. The road will take you back to your car in 30 mins.