Paramo Waterproof Cap
There are few items that can provide such functionality in such a small package. The Páramo Waterproof Cap is a very lightweight waterproof mountain cap that provides you with just enough protection without unnecessary insulation. I personally hate hoods – I’m usually walking with it down when all others have withdrawn turtle-like into their waterproofs. With this, I can protect my head enough without feeling claustrophobic or overheating.
There’s an elastic chinstrap to stop it blowing off, but I find this a little uncomfortable in practice. I don’t have a particularly huge head, I’d consider it about average, so I’d expect the larger sized cap to fit. You can use the volume adjuster in order for it to fit snugly.
To the sides, there are panels in order to keep the ears warm – but these can all be tucked up into the hat when not in use in order to create a baseball type cap more suitable for summer. The cap is made from the same material as their jackets, which means that it’ has a bit more insulation than a regular cloth cap. As a result, it can be a tad warm in summer, though I find any hat to be warm in hot weather and overheat easily. Dipping the hat in a stream and making use of evaporative cooling is about the only way I can cope! As it moves water away from the skin quite effectively, you can put it on over wet hair and rather than feeling wet and clammy, will just start to wick the water away.
If you want a decent waterproof cap that’s lightweight and easily re-proofed with the rest of your kit, then the Paramo Mountain cap is ideal if a little expensive for a cap.
It’s pictured in discontinued slate, but as you can see from the gallery it is now available in a more fetching Red, Black and a couple of shades of green.
What the Manufacturer Says:
- Waterproof “baseball” style cap with optional fold up/down ear protection.
- Broader peak gives excellent eye protection from sun, rain or snow.
- Fully adjustable to give functional and comfortable fit.
- Crown adjustment by hook and loop fastener.
- Elasticated neck and face volume/fit adjustment.
- Poppered chin strap with extended tabs for easy location with cold or gloved hands.
- Optimises head, eye and ear protection without impeding head movement or visibility.
- Available in two sizes. S/M is 59 cm circumference, L/XL is 63cm circumference (Measurements are approximate.)
Dave also established Walk up Snowdon, Walk up Scafell Pike and Walk up Ben Nevis just to mention a few.
Latest posts by Dave Roberts (see all)
- Keen Men’s Karraig Boot Review - June 14, 2019
- Navigation Skills 3 – What’s the best map for walking? - June 3, 2019
- Best Walks from Ladybower Reservoir and the Upper Derwent Valley - February 23, 2019