Paramo Fuera Windproof Smock Review
The windproof is often regarded as one of the least useful or essential bits of kit by many, surplus to requirements and doing what the waterproof shell does only less so.
Personally, I think that it is one of the essential bits of kit in a day pack, even more so for multi day trips or where the weather is changeable. I’ll usually stuff an exceptionally light pertex one in the bottom of my pack when on a multi day trip, but if I expect to be wearing it rather than carrying it then a more substantial windproof might be more suitable.
The Paramo Fuera Smock or Jacket is one such option. Not much lighter than a traditional waterproof, yet much more suitable for those blustery showery days when breathability becomes an overriding factor. Similar in appearance to the Velez smock, it is much lighter and cooler. The only disadvantage is that it’s not waterproof, yet if you keep it well proofed it can be effective in repelling showers. There’s a useful reflective piping on most colour-ways, with the obvious exception of the more discreet Moss option.
A large dual access pocket on the smock is designed to store a map or a guidebook and is the only pocket provided, but is sufficient in a garment of this weight. Further pockets would weigh it down once you start keeping more stuff in them and would make it uncomfortable, and I tend not to make use of more than the chest pocket on waterproofs for that reason.
I’ve used this for what’s going on five years, it still looks like new, and will be in use in another five at least . While it’s not the lightest available, there’s no compromise with the level of protection. You’ll feel comfortable getting out there in winter with this and a fleece in dry, cool and breezy conditions where a waterproof is just not needed.
- Reduced flap and weight through contoured fit.
- Visibility and safety from reflective strip.
- Complete freedom of movement and total arm flex through articulated arms and elbows.
- Adjustable cuffs allow precise fit at wrist – can also be pushed up for cooling.
- Additional cooling option via neck/chest zip.
- Freedom of movement from short front and scooped tail with single hand-adjust hem cord.
- Dual access chest pocket will fit a climbing/cycling guide book. Handwarm friendly.
- Optional head protection via fixed adjustable hood.
- Combine with a Páramo Cambia base layer or Reversible Shirt (Mountain Vent and Mountain Pull-on specifically) or both depending on insulation required.
- Low bulk. Easily tied around waist or stowed in own pocket when not worn.
- Made from Nikwax Windproof to cut the wind and deflect the rain.