A Circular Aber Falls Walk From Abergwyngregyn
Walk to Aber Falls with an optional circuit around the valley.
|7.5 km||316 m||2hrs 30min|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish:
Cafes at Aber, parking and WC at start.
Open water under the falls – look but don’t wander in!
Plenty of buses to the village from Bangor or Conwy sides.Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable): LL33 0LP
If you need to park – start at Bont Newydd Aber Falls Car Park
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
A Circular Aber Falls Walk From Abergwyngregyn Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Carneddau – Aber to Trefriw - 0.0km
- Tal y Fan From Aber to Dwygyfylchi - 0.0km
- Moel Wnion Circuit and Aber Falls - 0.0km
- Drum, Foel Fras and Aber Falls from Aber - 0.1km
- Foel Fras and Cwm Anafon from Aber - 0.2km
- Llwytmor via Marian Rhaeadr-fawr - 0.3km
- Aber to Llanbedr via Creigiau Eigiau - 0.6km
- Llwytmor and Foel Fras from Aber - 0.9km
- Yr Efail Swynol The Enchanted Forge Holiday Cottage - 5.5km
- Snowdonia Mountain Hostel - 10.1km
- Gwern Gôf Uchaf Campsite - 12.6km
- Cynllwyd Cafe – Llyn Crafnant - 14.8km
- Pen y Gwryd Hotel - 16.9km
Pubs and Cafes Nearby:
A Circular Aber Falls Walk From Abergwyngregyn Details
A family friendly circular Aber Falls walk to the spectacular Rhaeadr Fawr waterfall that returns to Aber via the North Wales Path, high above the valley. The Aber Falls Walk follows an easy gradient, except for the steeper descent at the walk’s end which requires a little more care in the wet. Nothing difficult! Best views of the waterfalls are to be had after heavy rains.
The Aber Falls Walk is now part of a series of circular walks along the Wales Coast path being developed by Cyngor Gwynedd Council, with an Aber Falls Walk printable pdf route leaflet available here. But you saw it on Mud and Routes first!
This also makes a really good trail run as well, as the ascent is steady as opposed to steep. Account about an hour or so for the run and make sure you’ve got decent trail running shoes if it’s wet!
The Aber Falls Walk
1. The walk starts from the Bus stop opposite the Aber Falls Tavern, which is reached via the A55. Parking is available on the minor road beyond (follow the road signs). Behind a pine workshop you will see a narrow road that enters the village and states “Aber Falls 1”.
2. Follow this road for just over a kilometre, and you will reach a car park where the minor road turns sharply left over a bridge. The path is straight ahead, go through the gate and then follow the track that goes up stream until you reach a footbridge that leads to a wider path with a large gate.
3. The trail from now on really needs no guidance as it is that straightforward. So long as you don’t venture off the path, as there are a couple of steeper routes through the conifer plantation.
6. The path will continue right, down stone steps and over a footbridge. You can explore the other side of the falls from here if you wish. To continue the walk, you cross a stile next to a sign that says “North Wales Path Only”.
7. The path leads you around the valley sides, across ground that can be slightly muddy and over a fair few streams. However, I found I could walk across without worrying about water getting into my boots.
8. The path soon turns right and starts to gently ascend the valley side. You quickly feel that you are quite high above the valley, and you are almost 300m above it towards the end. The route itself is easily followed, and the only decision you will have is when you reach the junction at SH657 720.
9. When you arrive at the junction,don’t follow the signs for the North Wales Path, instead you need to descend the track and take a stile that soon appears on the right leading to a path that leads down the slope. This section can be awkward if it is wet, but not beyond anyone of reasonable agility. Walking poles would help stability on this descent if you’re unsure.
10. You finally reach the road by passing through a small old gate. Turn left, and you will soon be at your starting point.