A Great Langdale Round
|19.61 km||1716 m||6 hours|
Calculate the time using Naismith’s Rule and factor in your own pace.
Start and Finish: Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel
Three pubs, a youth hostel and a couple of campsite make Great Langdale a rural metropolis. See our full guide to Great Langdale for more details
Serious fell terrain.
516 Bus Route between Dungeon Ghyll – Kendal / Ambleside. Six buses daily.Traveline for UK Public Transport
Parking and Post Code for Sat Nav (where applicable): LA22 9JU
Car park near the Old Dungeon Ghyll
Check out our Best Mountain Weather Forecast?
A Great Langdale Round Route Map and GPX Download
Summits and Places on this Route
- Crinkle Crags – Gunson Knott (Fifth Crinkle) (822 metres)
- Crinkle Crags – Third Crinkle (Gunson Knott) (840 metres)
- Rossett Pike (651 metres)
- Loft Crag (680 metres)
- Great Knott (696 metres)
- Pike of Blisco (705 metres)
- Pike of Stickle (709 metres)
- Crinkle Crags South Top (First Crinkle) (834 metres)
- Crinkle Crags – Long Top (Second Crinkle) (859 metres)
- Bowfell North Top (866 metres)
A Great Langdale Round Details
The valley of Great Langdale in the Lake District has so many hills surrounding it that you’ll have to walk them all on the Great Langdale Round rather than having to choose! Not only do you get to bag a load of Wainwright summits, they’re split between the Wainwright Southern Fells and the Central Fells.
This walking route starts from the Old Dungeon Ghyll Hotel (or you can start from the New Dungeon Ghyll Hotel) and ascends the first summit of Pike of Blisco. You’ll then lose some hard earned height as you descend to Red Tarn before climbing again up to Great Knot and then Crinkle Crags. It’s an undulating route onward over Bow Fell before the return leg of the round over the Langdale Pikes of Pike of Stickle and Loft Crag Finally the route descends directly down past the Dungeon Ghyll Force waterfall and onward to the bright lights of Great Langdale to cap the Langdale Round off.
Great Langdale Round Route
Click here to view the full description. Images and GPX files used with permission of the route author.
Latest posts by Dave Chick (see all)
- The Wainwrights – a Brief Mud and Routes Introduction - April 4, 2019
- 10 of the Best Walks in the Lake District - November 3, 2018
- Sprayway Men’s Palmer Jacket Review - September 24, 2018