Dave Roberts reviews the Caplight out on the hill.
The Caplight is a baseball cap with three ultra-bright built in led lights . The cap itself is quality, with reasonably bright lights that can be switched between off, low and high brightness.
While the Caplight is not going to be used as your main lighting for night walking and trail running, it can be useful when you don’t need as much light such as urban running. It’s also a great little backup light, which we almost needed on a walk on the flanks of Snowdon recently. Thankfully, our main light recovered with some rather excessive percussive maintenance, but the caplight would have seen me safely enough back to the car and allowed me to sort my primary light out. We also found it to be useful around camp and if you’re stopped during a night walk and don’t want to dazzle everyone else. It’s main use for us however was for night photography and astronomy – where I’m constantly blinding myself with a powerful headtorch.
If you’re night walking with a main light attached to your chest (much more natural place to put it than on your head) then a Caplight could well be a practical addition to your kit. Lights that are perfect for night navigation are often too bright for close up work. It’s going to be more useful while camping, with plenty of light to find your way around camp and inside the tent.
For night photography, this light was spot on. While we would have preferred a red light version, something that would be essential for most astronomy as your night vision develops. For nightscapes, that may not be as essential and this light is more than adequate for setting your camera up.
The battery life is a respectable 75 hours using 4 CR-2032 Lithium coin cell batteries which are hidden under the cap’s sweatband, and are easily replaceable.
The Caplight is well suited for situations when you need light for closeup work, and as a backup light for the outdoors. It’s been most useful for night photography, and a red light version would be top of our wish list. Buy them direct from – http://www.caplight.co.uk/shop.htm
According to the Manufacturer:
- Premium, 6 panel hat with sandwich **trim, premium comfort sweatband and durable Velcro closure. One Size Fits Most.
- 3 Ultra Bright LED’s (2 concealed under the brim and 1 in the brim) will last for 100,000+ hours
- Exclusive 3-way lighting technology lets YOU choose the light that is right for your specific needs.
- Provides light up to 50ft away and can be visible from over a mile.
- Easy “on/off” switch concealed in the brim
- 4 CR-2032 Lithium coin cell batteries are concealed in the sweatband, provide up to 75 hours of continuous light and are easily replaceable.