The Minffordd Path up Cader Idris is a must do Snowdonia walk and probably the best walk in South...
Archive for category: Walks up Cadair Idris and the Tarrennau
Walks Up Cadair Idris
There are many walks up Cadair Idris, which is also known as Cader Idris*, and as it’s in South Snowdonia is much quieter than the honeypots in the north of Snowdonia National Park. There are walks up Cadair Idris of varying difficulty, though this is a mountain walk and all routes need respect and no walk up Cadair Idris is easy! The Summit of Cadair Idris is 893m high, and is actually called Penygadair. It’s the entire mountain that’s correctly Cadair Idris, or Idris’ Chair.
Cadair (Cader) Idris is one of the iconic Welsh Mountains and forms part of the Welsh Three Peak challenge along with Snowdon and Pen y Fan. It’s actually the same geology as Snowdon, something that’s quite apparent as you walk up the Minffordd Path.
There are three main routes up to the Summit of Cadair Idris.
- The Pony Track – the more straightforward route from Ty Nant.
- The Minffordd Path – The more rugged route via Llyn Cau
- The Fox’s Path – Eroded scree -and best avoided if you like your feet on firm ground.
There are also a few less popular walks up Cadair Idris:
- Craig Cwm Amarch from Llanfihangell y Pennant
- Pony Path from Llanfihangell y Pennant – A Long, meandering walk that’s described as part of a walk from Machynlleth to Barmouth.
- Mynydd Moel from Minffordd – Described in descent, but a viable ascent as well.
- Cader Idris from Dolgellau – Via Gau Graig, along the entire mountain.
- Tyrrau Mawr and Craig y Llyn – the outliers, but with views that make them worth doing. This route is to follow soon.
What no walks up the Tarrennau? Fancy adding your own walking route in the Tarrennau?
*We’ve decided to keep the name as Cadair until it’s changed on the OS Map as it’s simply easier for people to find that way. If in doubt – we always use the wording on the OS Maps – in order to make it clearer.
All the routes up Cader Idris can be found by scrolling below:
The Walk up Cadair Idris via the Pony Path is one of the more popular walks up Cadair Idris....
The Cambrian Way, had it not been scuppered along with the Cambrian Mountains National Park for rather dodgy reasons...
A longer, quieter approach to Cadair Idris that sets off from the quiet hamlet of Llanfihangell y Pennant and...
Despite the proximity of the much busier Cadair Idris, these are rarely walked hills, though anyone who’s been along...
If you like to bag peaks then this epic trek up Cadair Idris, climbing all the main summits is definitely the way...
Cadair Idris may not be the tallest mountain in the area, though it is often falsely thought to be,...